Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten PLUS Ten: Reasons I Want to Emulate My Mother

If you weren't already aware...I have a pretty wonderful mom. And this week I would like to dedicate my list to her. So here are the top ten reasons why I want to emulate my mother. Be sure to read BecKyle's post as well!



1. She seeks Jesus
All of the other reasons revolve around this in one way or another. I want to emulate my mother for her heart that is constantly seeking Jesus.

2. Hardworking
If I listed all of the things that my mom does, it would be so extensive you would get bored. I don't even know if I could make a complete list. A mother's job doesn't end at 5 o'clock, or start at a certain time each morning, because it is continual. All day and all night, she is responsible for a large number of things, and diligently works at them. I admire her hard work.

3. Love
Any guesses as to who taught me how to truly love everyone? Who showed me what it means to have a heart for the lost, those in need, and the least of these? It was my mom. Looking for an example on how to love like Jesus did? She's your gal.

4.Cooking Skills/Parenting Skills
I know how my parents met, but sometimes I think my dad must have tasted her cooking..because if the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, than she wouldn't have had trouble there. She is complimented on it all the time, and there is good reason. Skills like that don't just appear, and we're all pretty thankful for it :) And about her parenting skills..she knows her stuff. She has been taking care of and raising kids for quite some time: starting when she was a teen and it hasn't stopped yet. Through 6 kids, countless foster, several grandkids, and watching others, she has seen it all. I want to be like that one day.

5. Perseverance 
This lady does not give up. Not as in stubborn, but as enduring. For example, she has been overexerting an injured arm for 6 weeks. Yesterday she went to the doctor (see how it took her 6 weeks? She's hesitant about using hospitals...as she should be) and they told her she needs to basically "baby it" for 6 weeks and it should get better. But that means she can't do many things she usually does...things that she's been doing for 6 weeks even though they hurt, because she had responsibilities. And that is just one example.

6.Selfless
Herself is the last person she worries about. She meets so many others' needs before thinking of her own, and that is something special. My mom is a wonderful example of how to be selfless.

7.Giving Heart
Going along with selflessness, seeking Jesus, and love...my mom has a very generous and giving heart. It reminds me of "The Giving Tree", and more importantly Jesus, because she gives when nothing is reciprocated in return, and that's what true giving is.

8. Patient
If you've ever met me, or my other siblings, you'd know that whoever is our mom must have a lot of patience...and she sure does. I see my mom practice much patience on a daily basis, and it is an example to be followed.

9.Willing
Everybody knows that one person who always shows up to things, happy to work, or is joyful even in doing menial tasks. That's my mom. She does what needs to be done and doesn't make a fuss, she is simply willing to do whatever needs to be done.

10.Calm
Whether it be a life changing event, or the child that stripped their clothes off for the umpteenth time in the middle of winter, she is amazing at being calm in situations.

Bonus...11. Home Remedies 
My mom has a knowledge of how to do so many things on her own. Whether it be making our own laundry soap, to cutting down doctor trips...she frequently makes things from scratch. But the most important detail of that (and one I'm excited to start learning) is home remedies. Being able to not just grab a bottle of Tylenol or go to the doctor..but figure out what is going on, and use more natural ingredients to help fix it. While her knowledge is extensive...she definitely is a "Coconut-Oil-Eating-Theives-Rubbing-Momma" but who wouldn't be after learning of their uses :) Anyways, point is..if anything is wrong with me, I'd ask my mom before I'd ask a doctor, and I'd be greatly surprised if she didn't have something to at least ease it.

Now I'm not trying to make my mom out to be perfect. We are all sinners and we all fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3.23) I would just like to acknowledge some commendable qualities of my mother, because there are many. Plus, she's beautiful...see?



1 comment: