Sunday, January 5, 2014

This one's for you Uncle Levi :)

I told you I would! :)

To all who may be wondering what this is about...here's a long story-short. I have this uncle, on my mom's side, who is kind of awesome. Definitely not only for this reason, but one reason being, that he very kindly sent one of his contractor workers to our house to resume construction. The reason this is such a big deal, is that we started this project 2 and a half years ago, and have been waiting a year to resume. My youngest sister doesn't even understand the idea of her own room, because hers is still half-done drywall. He saw this problem, and decided to help us fix it. For that we are very thankful! So jokingly, Levi told me to write a blog about the coolest uncle ever, and my closet door (I've been waiting for that simple task for a while, its a joke we have because I still only have a closet door left to finish my room)...and I struggled with what I would write about to make a meaningful and worthy (in my opinion) blog post. But I've figured it out. I will describe the benefits I have gained out of this elongated construction process.

So basically, what happened with my bedroom's construction, was getting home from school one day to see all my furniture shoved into one end, and my brothers' furniture pushed in front of it. I had to climb around and dig for my things that I needed, and figured I would just get by on what I fished out. My sister and her daughter slept in a bedroom downstairs, and she has a king sized bed, so when I gave up on the couch, she let me sleep with her. I spent 4 months sleeping in her room, and when I did finally get my room back, it was a few months of just my futon and clothes. I did not expect it to be more than a few weeks. To at least me, that was frustrating. Honestly I was pretty upset about the whole thing, and not patient at all. It drove me nuts. Some days were better than others, but the whole time it bothered me. Now I can see the good in it.

I remember when I was able to just sleep in my own bed again, and I was so thankful. I gained a deep appreciation for all the things I have. The little things that I couldn't have for that time, I was suddenly filled with gratefulness for. Having a room to myself, filled with my own things, is a huuuuge blessing that not everyone has, I needed to acknowledge that. Also, the time spent in my older sister's room, brought us closer together. We spent much more time together than we would have, and I was able to spend special one on one time with my niece. Without being focused on material things, and completely without most of them, I spent more time in God's word (that was actually the establishment of my consistent time in it) and everything was simpler. Yes, things got stressful in the sense that I didn't have a place for any of my things and whatnot, but overall.. it was simpler.

The construction on everything else has had basically the same effect (more thankfulness for what we have), but I am still so very glad to have it nearing a stopping point. So thank you Uncle Levi! You're awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment