Monday, August 25, 2014

Melany's Musical Mondays: Wishful Thinking


Lord is it possible to get this far
And just now understand who You are?
Feeling foolish yet relieved as well
'Cause what I bought before, I just can't sell


But now my eyes are open wide
If this is wrong
I don't wanna be right


Could it be that on my worst day
How you love me still will not change
What if it's really not about
What I do but what you did, oh what if


This ain't wishful thinking it's just how it is
This ain't wishful thinking it's just how it is


Well, I guess I'm better late than not at all
Or did you plan it this way all along
'Cause without suffering grace is hard to see
So maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be


And now, I'm thinking you so differently
And all I can say is finally


Could it be that on my worst day
How you love me simply will not change

What if it's really not about
What I do but what you did, oh what if


This ain't wishful thinking it's just how it is
This ain't wishful thinking it's just how it is

-"Wishful Thinking" by MercyMe

"MercyMe" always has been and always will be a favorite of mine. This band has decades of good music and as far as I can tell, sound theology. This song is one of my very favorites, and is fairly new.

I can relate to this song in a few ways. The very beginning reads "Lord is it possible to get this far, and just now understand who you are?" and another says "Well I guess I'm better late than not at all, or did you plan it this way all along? Cause without suffering grace is hard to see, so maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be". I grew up (or spent some of my growing up) thinking that I had to be good enough, or that I had to impress God. If you've never felt that way, let me tell you-it.is.exhausting. And not only is it untrue, but quite frankly it is self-centered.

We certainly are not "good enough to impress God at all, nor are we so important that it is about what we do. Rather, it is about what Jesus did. As usual, my favorite parts of the song are emphasized, because I feel like they are pointing to; Jesus, sovereignty, and grace. The fact of the matter is that no human can sufficiently earn his salvation, or attain it. And thankfully...we don't have to! We are completely and utterly depraved (Romans 3:9-18 or Romans 3:23) and God saves, not you."No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:44 Aaaaaaaand not only that, but once He has (by His incredible grace and mercy) saved you-it's not going anywhere! No matter how bad of a day you have, how much you sin, or even how mad you get at Him. What's done is done. "My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30. As stated above, Jesus and the Father (being one) have both got you in their hands. He has got a double-fisted grip on you and He won't let go. I learned to stop spinning my wheels and to just rest in that. Believe me, it's much better :) Thank God for the comfort and rest that comes from sovereignty! 



1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite line is this one: "Well, I guess I'm better late than not at all
    Or did you plan it this way all along 'Cause without suffering grace is hard to see
    So maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be." So true. Thanks for introducing a new song!

    ReplyDelete