Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten PLUS Ten: Favorite Book Quotes

On a day like this (cold and snowy) all I want to do is sit inside my cozy room covered in blankets, holding a cup of tea or coffee, and read the time away. So today's topic is fitting, because most of my favorite books were the product of days like that (whether I had time or not) because I just couldn't put them down. So here are my ten favorite book quotes. And after reading, head over to BecKyle's list, I know for a fact she will have some wonderful quotes.


1. Sherlock Holmes
"'This is indeed a mystery.' I remarked. 'What do you imagine that it means?'. 'I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. But the note itself, what do you deduce from it?'"

2. Heartless
"I chose to long ago, long before we met. When my father sent me to win you, I loved you already." 

3. Pride and Prejudice
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
or the also acceptable movie quote (words you won't often hear from me)
"You have bewitched me body and soul, and I love, I love..I love you"

4. Jane Eyre
"I have for the first time found what I can truly love-I have found you. You are my sympathy-my better self- my good angel- I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely; a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you-and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one."

5. The Chronicles of Narnia
“Alas," said Aslan, shaking his head. "It will. Things always work according to their nature. She has won her heart's desire; she has unwearying strength and endless days like a goddess. But length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery and already she begins to know it. All get what they want; they do not always like it.”

6. Gone With the Wind
“I'll think of it tomorrow, at Tara. I can stand it then. Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day.” 

7. The Hiding Place
“If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest."

8. The Great Gatsby
“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.” 

9. Harry Potter
“Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.” 

10,  The Book Thief
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...” 

Now please excuse me while I go shed many a tear. And don't forget to read BecKyle's list!


No comments:

Post a Comment