Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tuesday's Top Ten PLUS Ten: Sweet Memories of Childhood

As a child who has traits of every birth order (youngest, middle, oldest, and only) because of the crazy way that my family has worked, my experiences reflect those qualities. Some sweet memories are of just my parents and myself, while others are taking care of younger siblings, and upon writing this I had to giggle at the absurdity of it all. My family sure is different. Don't forget to hop on over to BecKyle's list as well!


1. My younger brother and sister went regularly to therapy out of town when I was in grade school, and some of the most fun days were when mom would let me go along. My brother didn't do much without me, so I got to be the pretend therapist and try things so that he would want to do them too. There was a pool and rooms with toys, plus afterwards we would go to lunch with mom. I have fond memories of therapy days.

2. I have always wanted to be a teacher, and I remember spending afternoons in my room, reading aloud or teaching old worksheets, or even making up my own lessons to teach to a pretend audience. Sometimes I would drag my brother along and make him participate, but obviously things always went smoother when my audience could be perfect, per my imagination.

3. My dad was once a truck driver, and would be gone for long periods at a time. I remember some times when he came home from trips and I was very little, he, my mom, (after birth, my brother) and I would go out to eat breakfast at a diner in my town. I loved going there and celebrating my dad's homecoming.

4. My great grandparents on one side once lived in a very large, beautiful antique home. We would go visit during the summers, and it was always such fun. The house was absolutely amazing to me, and I have memories of playing card games with grandpa, or helping grandma make fruit salad. I even remember the afghan that sat across the back of their couch. Now they are with Jesus, the house serves as offices for some business, and that afghan has a new home-but I will always treasure those road trips.

5. Once upon a time my dream was to be a ballerina. My house has a large open room in the basement, and it used to be a dance studio. Mirrors lined the walls, and on certain nights of the week, girls filled out house. It was sort of magical to have your passion taught inside your very own home. I was obsessed with dance and would wear leotards and spin circles wherever I went. I've even spoken to a few people who recognize me as the little girl who danced all through Co-op. My dream has since changed, by the memories will always remain.

6. Because my dad was a truck driver, there were always chores to do when he came home. Whether it meant repairs or just polishing the tires, I loved to follow along. Especially since time with him otherwise was slim, I spent much of it at the shop, and to this day I still love the smell and atmosphere of a workshop. Once I went on the rolling board to look underneath the truck just like dad, and got my long hair all kinds of tangled inside the wheels..that is the only memory I can remember that was unpleasant at the shop.

7. My family has, and probably always will own horses. When I was about 9, and for the next few years on, I had a period of horse obsession. Riding them, simply being around them, drawing them, wearing clothes portraying them, and reading books about them was all I seemed to do. I even had a subscription to this monthly box called "Pony" filled with horse centered goodies, like books, posters, jewelry, and others. Although I'm much less crazed now, I did enjoy the experiences and fun I had then.

8. Speaking of horses, around the beginning of that period, I needed a saddle. Such things are not cheap, so we decided to get out the coins savings I had, I remember the whole family spread across the dining room table counting coins. My contribution was enough that soon after my dad and I took a road trip to South Dakota where an uncle of mine owned a saddle shop, and customized a saddle just for me. The trip there was just dad and me, and was so much fun. I remember the snacks we got, and the music we listened to. I believe that was the beginning of my love for road trips.

9. My family has been a home to many foster children over the years. And as a child in that environment, of course there were rough times, but nothing can top the excitement of knowing that you will be getting a new sibling soon! Especially when they were closer to your age rather than a baby. Being the little mother hen that I was, I enjoyed feeling like one of the older siblings and being able to take care of someone. I lived with some children that changed my life, and I'm so glad my family was a part of foster care.

10. Christmas has always been so magical to me. My parents did a wonderful job making the experience a childhood joy. I love all of the lights, and since we were lucky enough to have enough rooms to be spread apart, I was allowed to decorate mine. I have very fond memories of spending time with my lights shut off, just to bask in the magic and glow of the decorations. I remember coloring and doing homework by the light of my tree, because regular lighting just doesn't compare.

Thanks for letting me share some of my unique childhood with you! Now skip on over to BecKyle's list and read some of her own memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment