Monday, October 13, 2014

Melany's Musical Mondays: Keep Making Me


Make me broken, so I can be healed.
Cause I'm so calloused, and now I can't feel.
I want to run to you, with heart wide open.
Make me broken.

Make me empty, so I can be filled.
Caused I'm still holding onto my will.
And I'm completed when you are with me.
Make me empty.

Till you are my one desire.
Till you are my one true love.
Till you are my breath, my everything
Lord please keep making me.

Make me lonely, so I can be Yours.
Till I want no one more than you Lord.
Cause in the darkness, I know you will hold me.
Make me lonely.

Till you are my one desire.
Till you are my one true love.
Till you are my breath, my everything
Lord please keep making me.



I would encourage you to watch this video. It is significant.

This song has struck a chord with me. I bought this album right when it came out (a few years ago) and loved it! But didn't immediately particularly care for this song. Sonic-ally it's great! But the lyrics didn't mean anything to me at the time. About a year-maybe a little more-ago, it gained significance. Note in the video when the man keeps trying and trying and trying, and just can't find what he wants. He is searching and working but with nothing to show for it. He tries doing things his own way and can't get it right.* Nothing seems to work out, even though he tries imitating others, impressing others, and changing himself. But finally he comes across this friend, who leads him to a room. (And at the end I believe he is leading someone else to that very room!)Something I had never noticed before today, was that the room has a little sign on it that says "Psalm 51". Judging by the fact that inside of the room he gets painted clean and has a new design (what a lovely image), I will assume that this is the section of Psalm 51 they were intending on. Psalm 51:7-12 "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not way from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit."

I would not say that this song is about salvation though. That does not make sense, or fit. Same thing goes for the video. If this were about salvation, the content would be different. I would say this is about a believer who is going through a rough spot, or one who is at the very beginning of their walk. Here's why. The whole song shouts the whole idea that God is present and working in trials. That He is and can be purposeful through everything. It's basically saying "Okay God, if that is what it takes, then so be it. I want more of you". The lyrics are a prayer to be made; broken, empty, and lonely, and/or to be brought through that state when unasked by growing closer to Him. Now who would ask for that? It answers itself in the chorus. Someone who wants Him to be their; one desire, true love, very breath, and everything. Your faith can not and will not grow if you never have a trial or testing. James 1:2-4 "Count it all joy, my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have it's full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." It is beautiful and full of truth because it's inevitable. You will go through hard times, and you will become worn. But God has a purpose for that, whether you see it immediately or it refers to your process of sanctification as a whole, you can bet that He is true to His word. I find this song as a reminder and a source of comfort, reminding me to not focus on myself through a difficult time, but to focus on the One who planned it and the One who will bring me through it. 


*If you watch carefully, around 1:00 on the video, when he tries painting himself and messes up, it is the lion at the end, only black and white and upside down! He got close, but no matter how close, he still couldn't do things himself. How beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment